Sunday, April 06, 2014

Vintage recipes redux

....but first....sorry to hear about the death of  Mickey Rooney. :'(


I've put this off long enough, my Google Plus recipe friends, so here we go. Before I get started, I want to preface this piece by saying that around Easter as well as Christmas, I usually bake up a festive batch of Challah, a very eggy braided bread, and I use the recipe found in John Braue's "Uncle John's Original Bread Book", which is an interesting collection of antique bread recipes in its own right.  And now, presenting...

This recipe and the next involve canning, and I present them now in view of the fact that people are thinking about their vegetable gardens. This probably won't get eaten until Thanksgiving, but if you're planting now, you're basically planning ahead, ha.


Appropriate seasonal recipe--you can't deny that it's gus season! 
Not bad for the first picking of the gus season, hm? Those lanky stalks won't be woody except at the first 2 or so inches at the base because these have been amply mulched with light grass clippings, which also accounts for the blanched look of the shorter stalks. Yummmmmmmm!!


Good anytime.

In my previous postings of antique recipes, I confined what I posted to stuff that was written only on one side of a file card or paper.  In this post will be recipes that don't fit that description.

Side One of a well-worn, oft-used recipe. Side Two follows...



Lotsa luck with the next pair of images....



























The following pair is on the same card (from the ONG gas company), but there's one recipe per side...









An excellent recipe from the Oklahoma Natural Gas company...love the wine selection...





Another card from ONG, but with two recipes...

















Another ONG two-fer...









The recipe is on one side of this clipping, but check out the prices of groceries on the other side...
















No comments: