Sunday, December 22, 2013

Sunday talking heads mini-commentary

Not only is the year 2013 the year that the Christmas season began before Halloween, but it's also the year that New Year retrospectives begin before Christmas. Wut?

Looks like I'm not the only person on the globe that can't wait for 2013 to be over already.  It's clearly not been a good year for a lot of people. It's not like I'm looking forward to turning another year older on January 1 or anything like that.

Looking forward to changes, different direction. Same ol' same ol' just won't cut it.

Don't get me wrong--I've got a few personal traditions that I'll still observe, primarily because those same ol' same ol's are about to approach extinction, like my tradition of turning on the shortwave radio on New Year's Eve and, beginning from the International Date Line, listen to nations ring in the New Year in consecutive order of time zones.  More shortwave services have gotten the axe this year and there's no telling how long I'll even be able to do that.  A person can even expect surprises with this on occasion, like the occasion that Spain's Radio Exterior de EspaƱa was broadcasting live and in co-ordination with the Canary Islands.  That sparked a lively listening party on Facebook.

And I'm always a sucker for a good Viennese waltz--and Walter Kronkite--when I've tuned in to the annual Vienna concert on PBS, which was later hosted by Julie Andrews.  It always ends with the Radetzky Marsch and for some reason I never get tired of hearing it (or anything by any Strauss). I guess my boogie likes it.



Outside of that--stuff that just gets stale gets the dustbin.  C'mon, New Year.

As for Christmas, there are a few interesting things to catch on the shortwave radio, like Midnight Mass direct from Vatican Radio--midnight THEIR time, that is.  Greek Orthodox service is interesting, too, but their Christmas is on a different date.  On shortwave, you can haz two Christmases.







No comments: