Saturday, September 14, 2013

Celebrating the Cherokee Strip Land Run Weekend

Welcome to my new Adds on Google Plus! Thank you! :)

Yes, there was a guy who actually showed up to do the Land Run on his big wheel. This is the guy that commemorates that aspect of the Land Run every year.

Here you see the parade's grand finale first--a commemoration of the Chisholm Trail cattle drive.  Here's the video...



You might have noticed that the view didn't follow the announcer. Well, I have a thing for antique vehicles, Studebakers in particular, and Studebaker started out as a horse buggy manufacturer until it started producing automobiles.  And yes, I have visited the Studebaker factory in South Bend, IN, too, where one also finds Packards. Enid's not half bad as an auto manufacturing town, either. It's the home of the Geronimo.

Finally got the mural unveiling video to upload. Blogger's really been finicky of late, so I divided up the original vid into smaller pieces. The artist explains each panel after it has been revealed, but I'll have to break that up into smaller vid pieces too, later...


And now, Yarnstormageddon....

Each yarn display also sports a tag, promoting some event. In Enid? No. This particular lamp post was promoting a rather remote part of Oklahoma...

Not bad.

Update, rainy day/Monday: good day to process more pics and vids, but I decided instead (at least, right now) to whip up a batch of Enid history in the form of Acme Flour banana cake.  It's a "from scratch" recipe, which means I have to use soured milk, I have to separate the eggs and beat the whites, folding in the foamy whites last.  Yes, there is sound chemistry behind these requirements, not to mention a good way to use milk that has soured.  Back in the day, milk was soured on purpose, not just for cake baking but also for making cottage cheese.  You set a bowl of milk out on the table overnight, during which it curdles.  Pour off the whey, add a bit of sugar, and you've got breakfast. Will process pics & vids later, guys. :)



Jen-yoo-wine horseless carriage, with spider-clad gazebo in background --

Next, is a sweet, sweet machine, vintage 1960.  My very favorite model, the Studebaker Lark.  Mine was white, and 1963.  Studebaker made the last model in 1964.

The one I had was owned by a guy who lost the keys and the title, so the only thing that could happen to it was for a junk yard to get a salvage title for it.  It turned up in a local junk yard with no radiator, no transmission, and largely gutted.  Found out that its overhead valve six cylinder engine had a cracked head, but that didn't stop me either.

I bought it from the junk yard, put a Chevy Impala radiator in it (only had to re-drill the mounting holes--it fit perfectly otherwise), put in a Rambler transmission (Borg Warner generic, actually), new clutch, had the engine block re-bored, fresh set of rings, new ones of a lot of this n that, reupholstered the original seats (they reclined all the way back--no other car of more recent vintage could do that) and put in a new, heftier clutch release linkage because the stock linkage was so weak it always bent while in use.

30 days after purchase, I got it roadworthy and licensed, and made a trip to Montreal and back for a shakedown cruise.  And to attend the ANARC convention at Radio Canada's La Maison in 1978, of course.  My sketch of that appeared on the cover of Review of International Broadcasting, proclaiming ANARC OR BUST!  Larry Magne took a pic of me standing beside ole Nellie Belle right after the Montreal trip and just before I embarked for NUvention in Indianapolis (hosted by the late John Moritz).  Yeah, THAT Larry Magne--the Passport to Worldband Radio Lawrence Magne.  He'll always be Clandestine Cranny Larry to ME, ha.  And it was on the Montreal trip that I dropped by the Studebaker factory in South Bend.

This is my car's namesake, the Jeep driven by Pat Brady...

The remaining critters are Bullet, Trigger, and Roy Rogers.

My Nellie Belle died in Arizona in 1999, victim of theft by somebody who couldn't figure her out very well.  I'm probably the only person who knew what parts did which, exactly, and the reason I named her for this Jeep is because she had a personality as well as being just as temperamental. Like Stude hobbyists say, "every other car is just Brand X".  I had no idea as to her fate until I went to the DMV to renew my driver's license.  I was told I couldn't unless I paid the $50 towing fee to the state, so it's clear that they not only got her, but sent her packing to a junkyard too. RIP, Nellie. Anyhoo, back to Enid...ya just can't leave out Enid Symphony's Doug Newell out of the festivities...


Vids continue to be a major bugger to upload on Blogger. There's still more, too.

Blogger is still being stubborn about vids, so here's a pic of the ribbon cutting at Enid High, which also took place the same week. It's a college prep facility, and the room numbers have q-codes on 'em.  Kids, toss out your cheap smart phones because it's only the expensive ones that do q-codes. Poor kids, get a smart phone.  Just ask Santa for one.
Man--Blogger gave me guff about uploading the pic, even. Google, get yer act together already.

No comments: