Friday, October 18, 2013

Music history right up my alley--2nd lecture

The voices of the past are what I find more reliable than books, and that's one of many reasons why I'm a time traveler, not an historian.  Sure, I love old books too, but nothing puts a time traveler on the ground rubbing elbows with a particular era than the sights and sounds of the times.  If you've gone to Pinterest and taken the tour of a part of my time machine, you'll find that recordings are considered essential to the navigation core.


I didn't attend that first lecture, but this second lecture is a bit higher on my priority list for the simple reason that I've collected old recordings all the way back to the Edison cylinder.  Didn't go out of my way to amass a huge amount--I just collected tunes and/or artists of personal significance...if the price was right.  In moving, I lost an awful lot of them, too, alas.

I do have questions about the timing of this lecture series, though. After living a dozen or so years in Arizona, I happen to know that Europeans on holiday are particularly fond of the Old West and cowboys.  Sure, there are tourists in Phoenix during the winter, but we call 'em "snowbirds" for a reason--mainly domestic folks from the upper tier just getting away from the snow at home.  Germans are the biggest consumer of Old West memorabilia, I've been told, and I'm sure they can't all get CSPAN.

When CSPAN repeats programming it is a hit/miss proposition; if the Cherokee Heritage Museum wants to drum up business, a more deliberate effort should be made to target vacationing Europeans getting CSPAN in their hotels while they're over here so that they can plan a trip to Enid next year.   Just sayin' that even time lords find such things attractive.


UPDATE, Saturday--Kindred Spirit Detection Alert:
CSPAN2 (BookTV) reran a book presentation that originally took place on 9/18, by author Mark Lee Gardner, on his book, "Shot All to Hell", talking about Jesse James.  He's a musician himself, and while I don't make that claim, recognized him as a kindred spirit and fellow time traveler when he said that to him, music is a time machine.  It most certainly is.  I also recognize Harry Belafonte as such.

UPDATE, Monday:
I went, I saw, I enjoyed.  Until I get my stuff uploaded, I suggest that y'all check out these guys on YouTube, under the band name of Slapout.  They're cool and a half, and here's a sample of their younger selves...
They performed this next one as an encore...

Oh. If you'll be watching this on CSPAN and are looking for people in a crowd shot, look for Enid mayor Bill Shewey on the right side of the center aisle. Sure, you'll see only the back of his head but there's a gal sitting directly across that aisle from him wearing a serape over a long sleeved red jersey.  Guess who. :)

Parked in the NOC parking lot...

The following is a vid cam but it looks like it's one of NOC's own cameras, actually...

As it turns out, this camera is associated with that snazzy van, not CSPAN.  CSPAN actual showed up at the first lecture, which I did not attend.  I was told that CSPAN *might* use this camera's footage, as it were, but IMHO that's still iffy.

Oh. About the substance.  It was a substantive overview with a few tantalizing details as to the origins being British/Scotch/Irish.  And often bawdy.  Which is why I didn't ask any questions during the Q&A--the one question I have is about a bawdy song that got tamed down to become "Buffalo Gals".  Original title: "Louisiana Woman".  Yes, I took my own video of the event but mainly for my own information.  I do make videos for the purpose of taking notes, and I took notes.  It's the snippets thereof that I post under Fair Use, not the whole thing.

And speaking of "Buffalo Gals", it's worthwhile to bring up an old western show that used to be quite popular because it was mainly a western soap opera that launched that good-lookin' "Little Joe" (Michael Landon).  I didn't pay attention to it much even though "Little Joe" was quite a looker--I'm more into substance than soap opera.  But when the re-runs started playing, I paid more attention to what appeared to me to be heavily-researched detail, like that business about "Louisiana Woman", when whistled, turned out to be a clue in a murder on the show.  Yup--the show is Bonanza, and it even covered Basque anarchists in the old west.  It's now a favorite show no matter how many of Little Joe's girlfriends died off in the process.



January 13, 2014 UPDATE: I just heard an important piece of New Mexico music history at 9:35 am via KRZA in the form of a native American singing the original form of a tune borrowed by anglos twice: first, in the form of the song Red Wing; second, borrowed by Woody Guthrie for Union Maid. Currently pursuing further details on this song, with apparent origins in New Mexico.

No comments: