Saturday, November 16, 2013

More vintage recipes, written with fountain pen

First I'm going to add this preface for my Muslim friends who return to this blog for new commentary on recent events regarding Iran, Syria, Egypt and Libya.  I am aware of the recent developments including the protesters in Libya who were murdered.  The failure of talks regarding Iran is expected--what constitutes progress is the very fact that talks were held; I expect nothing to miraculously resolve overnight. It will take time.  What's happening in Syria is also a first, and that, too, will take more time.  I haven't forgotten the region and I will comment when there are further concrete developments.

 I just realized I'm in deep doo-doo with the Boyah community, who invited me to a G+ Hangout and I didn't see the notification until it was well past over.  Sorry, guys. Give my regards to gri, if he has returned.  You guys do realize, I hope, that my main job at Boyah was as a translator.  gri-to-English, with some Russian thrown in.  I kinda lost that job, as I recall, ha.  No more gri. {To everybody else: gri is a long, long technical story. You have to be an SMF geek to get it. If you're a curious coder, Google up "grivitation". If you're an SMF coder and/or admin, odds are great that you've already not only met this guy but have banned him 7 ways from Sunday. Me, I find him to be a fascinating old Soviet with a colorful way with English words as a second language. So yeah--I speak gri, and I speak SMF code.}

And Doctor Who turns exactly 50 years old, exactly today. My, what a youngster he is.


"I got a million of 'em!"

I've got a long, long row to hoe when it comes to posting vintage recipes of all sorts, so today's focus is going to be on the ones that have been written in fountain pen.  Between the quill pen and the ball-point/gel pens, there were fountain pens. It was because of those that pocket protectors were invented. Julia Wright of Family Circle's Kitcheneering recommends a precaution when going on a flight to somewhere with a fountain pen--never fill it more than half full.

Other types of vintage recipes will be posted later as updates.

UPDATE: From Project Gutenberg:  Cookery Bookshelf  and Cookery and Dining in Imperial Rome; also from Project Gutenberg, a 17th century English translation of a Spanish missive about chocolate




























I have thusfar confined my recipe postings to those recipes are complete on one side of the file card. There are others which cover both sides, and that's what will be posted next.  In the meantime, enjoy a label recipe from a product that is no longer made, and note the postal address with zone number.




The above is a clipable page out of Family Circle magazine, and there was one of these in each issue. The binder to keep them in was sold separately, and was optional.



While on an online quest to dig up a 1950s vintage roast turkey recipe that appeared in the newspaper St. Louis Globe-Democrat I found other interesting things like the Riverfront Times blog, which dug up much older recipes.  What I was looking for was, IMHO, a turkey recipe to die for, so to speak, and one that I've been approximating from memory over the years.  It involves stuffing that has all the usual ingredients plus the following: veal, pork sausage, coriander, water chestnuts, apples, pineapple, orange, candied ginger, and cider, while using 2 egg yolks for basting.  If there are any ancient river rats out there who have clipped this recipe and kept it, PLEASE share!  Thank you.

Riverfront Times' Gut Check
Ghosts of Thanksgivings Past (Riverfront Times blog)














Sunday-related off-topic addendum:

Usually when something current pertains to an old post, I'll update the old post, but what PBS' "Religion & Ethics" brought up this Sunday pertains to a couple of posts I was hoping that by now would just be relegated to the dustbins of history.  What they broadcast this Sunday was something of historical significance.  Specifically, this is relevant to the mental health undercurrents which rose in the 1920s and which remained prevalent thru the early 1960s, having peaked in the 30s 40s and 50s--yeah, too significant to have been so blatantly ignored in certain quarters.  It's a Big Hairy Deal.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/2013/11/15/november-15-2013-delayed-dignified-burials/21079/



No comments: